Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 11:41:41PM -0500, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org> writes:
>
> > The user has T installed, and types "apt-get install noteclipse". Since
>
> Does this also answer the case of Debian CDs?

It answers it in precisely the same fashion that it answers the main
archive. If you have something installed which meets the dependancies
already, our tools do not, by default, install something *else* (say,
Kaffe) to try to meet them.

This does depend on the accuracy of the Depends line. If something
uses native (JNI) library calls that are not standardized across some
significantly-multiple set of JVMs, that Depends is not going to be correct
if it just says "kaffe | virtual-package-for-jvms", since most things that
provide the latter don't provide the necessary JNI calls.

If it *is* accurate, that means the whole damned thing is programmed to an
API that is *not* owned by Kaffe (namely, the Java language standards), but
rather, is implemented by Kaffe, and this means it cannot be a derivative
work of Kaffe.

(I, for one, have never bought the "magical exec() boundary" FSF argument;
an API is a natural barrier which can be fairly straightforwardly tested
and is covered by fairly well understood precedents already. *Especially*
if that API happens to be outside the domain of either of the parts
involved.)
--
Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org>                                       ,''`.
                                                                     : :' :