Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 11:41:41PM -0500, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
>> Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org> writes:
>>
>> > The user has T installed, and types "apt-get install noteclipse". Since
>>
>> Does this also answer the case of Debian CDs?
>
> It answers it in precisely the same fashion that it answers the main
> archive. If you have something installed which meets the dependancies
> already, our tools do not, by default, install something *else* (say,
> Kaffe) to try to meet them.

But the Debian CDs have nothing to do with the Depends-based tools.
It's just a work containing copies of Kaffe and (soon) Eclipse in
closer proximity than aggregation.

> This does depend on the accuracy of the Depends line. If something
> uses native (JNI) library calls that are not standardized across some
> significantly-multiple set of JVMs, that Depends is not going to be correct
> if it just says "kaffe | virtual-package-for-jvms", since most things that
> provide the latter don't provide the necessary JNI calls.
>
> If it *is* accurate, that means the whole damned thing is programmed to an
> API that is *not* owned by Kaffe (namely, the Java language standards), but
> rather, is implemented by Kaffe, and this means it cannot be a derivative
> work of Kaffe.

It's not about a derivative work or ownership of an API.  It's just
about distributing copies of Kaffe with copies of non-GPL'd works.

-Brian