Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

On Thu, 2005-13-01 at 20:15 +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> "Grzegorz B. Prokopski" <gadek@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2005-13-01 at 19:55 +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> >> "Grzegorz B. Prokopski" <gadek@debian.org> writes:
> >> I fail to see the relevance of this paragraph to the discussion at
> >> hand.  The alleged incompatibility was between the interpreter (JVM)
> >> and the program being interpreted.  Does Eclipse make explicit use of
> >> libraries licensed under the GPL?
> >
> > It surely does explicitely call java.lang.Object.wait() quite often
>
> java.lang.Object is part of the standard Java API published by Sun
> (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Object.html).
>
> > (as any multithreaded java program), which in turn calls the JVM,
>
> Quite so.
>
> > which is purely GPLed.
>
> Incorrect.  There exists a GPL JVM for sure, but there also exist
> other JVM implementations (e.g. Sun's) equally capable of running
> Eclipse.

Please don't get that theorhetical.  What we have here is an explicit
usage, not pure "possibilities", if there exist another implementations
then use it and do not infridge on the GPL.

Now, in our case, Eclipse is linked agains a libraries that ARE GPLed.
We are compiling GPL-incompatible code against purely GPLed headers.
Please see Linus's email I cited in my other emails for more info.

Would it have been compiled against a differently licensed library,
this particular problem would be solved.  Wouldn't it?

Hope this clarifies the issue,

			Grzegorz B. Prokopski

--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski           <gadek@sablevm.org>