Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

Dalibor Topic <robilad@kaffe.org> writes:

> Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
>> Måns Rullgård <mru@inprovide.com> writes:
>
>>>It is compiled against an interface, not an implementation.  Which
>>>particular implementation was used while compiling is irrelevant.
>> Can you support this assertion?  The program, including its
>> libraries,
>> which the developer intends to put on end-user systems appears quite
>> relevant to me.
>
> For a file written in Java, all that ends up in the compiled bytecode
> file from a library its compiled against are a bunch of strings
> denoting class, interface, field and method *names* that are used from
> the library, if any, but not the actual content of the library,
> i.e. actual expressions of data structures or methods as they exist in
> the library. That's a major difference between Java classes and C
> headers.

But what ends up on the user's Debian system when he types "apt-get
install eclipse; eclipse" is a program incorporating a JVM and many
libraries.  Debian's not just distributing Eclipse or just
distributing Kaffe -- the idea is that we'll be distributing the
Debian OS which includes both, linked together.

-Brian