Re: PHPNuke license

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 06:59:18PM -0800, Mark Rafn wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, John Goerzen wrote:
> > I completely agree with that :-)
>
> Recent comments on this list make it clear that 2a and 2c are intended to
> apply to modifications you make regardless of whether you distribute.  I'd

Well, I disagree with that interpretation.  Just because some people on the
list interpret it one way doesn't mean that this interpretation is the one
that would necessarily survive a court test.  I do agree that the language
is ambiguous, and yet it is totally impossible for the GPL to prevent
modification of your own copy.

In any case, the user of the software already has rights under fair use to
modify it, before even agreeing to the license.