Re: PHPNuke license

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 12:36:18PM -0500, David Turner wrote:
> > That sounds ludicrous and farfetched to me, given that both statements, by
> > themselves, are already farfetched in this circumstance.
>
> (2)(c) concerns the act of modification.  Altering the program to remove
> copyright notices is modification.  This is not ludicrous nor
> farfetched.  The only question. then, is whether the program is
> interactive.

> Dictionary.com says of interactive:

BUT -- (2)(c) ONLY takes effect if the user is distributing the source to a
modified program AND that program is intractive.

Given that if the PHPNuke administrator replaces the theme with one that
doesn't come from PHPNuke, then there is really no PHPNuke code showing
through, I think it's hard to say that every PHPNuke page view shows PHPNuke
code.

Additionally, I say that it's hard to claim that there is an act of
distribution going on here.

> 2 /Computer Science/. Of or relating to a program that responds to user
> activity.

By that definition, Apache is interactive, as is the Linux kernel.

>      <programming> A term describing a program whose input and
>      output are interleaved, like a conversation, allowing the
>      user's input to depend on earlier output from the same run.

And here is depends on what is a "run".  A cookie-less HTTP request would be
a run in itself.  There is no interleaving there.  I suppose you could claim
that a HTTP/1.1 session with keep-alives and cookies is a run, but it's
again a little farfetched.