Re: the FSF's definition of Free Software and its value for Debian

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 06:39:16PM -0500, David Turner wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 20:34, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I would ask that, *especially* if Debian formalizes my metaphor or
> > builds upon it in any way, that the FSF not change its definition of
> > Free Software without running it by us.  :)  Having
> > <URL:http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html> change suddenly could
> > come as a nasty surprise.
>
> I can't promise *anything* about what Richard will do to the FSF's
> website.  But I do think that Debian needs to be kept in the loop.  So,
> if Richard does it, you would be right to be upset at him.

It might be best, then, if we just rewrote the Four Freedoms in our own
words, and match the FSF's current effective definition as closely
possible.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      Mob rule isn't any prettier just
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      because you call your mob a