Re: the FSF's definition of Free Software and its value for Debian

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 20:34, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 03:08:46PM -0500, David Turner wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 11:52, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > What do you folks think of my paradigm?  Useful or not?
> >
> > I think it's brilliant.
>
> I get nervous when people react so enthusiastically; it makes fear that
> I am unwittingly aiding them in the fulfillment of some ulterior
> purpose.  :)

I'm tempted to give a Kosh-like answer here: "Yes."  But instead, I'll
explain that I do think it's good, and not only because it does help
fill my goal of getting my interpretation proposal adopted.

> > I also think it's brilliant, because it means that I won't have to
> > metadispute when I suggest again that we look at DFSG 3 compliance via
> > the "least restrictive means" / "compelling Free Software interest"
> > analysis that I proposed during the AGPL thread.
>
> I'm not sure where this is headed (my memory with regards to the AGPL is
> short, and I think some discussion may have taken place while I was
> knocked offline due to a move and motherboard failure),

Naw, the thread died.

> but I should
> stress that what the FSF conceives of as a "compelling Free Software
> interest" and what Debian does may not always be in perfect harmony.
> But I'm sure you already understand that, so I'm glad you in particular
> find my proposed metaphor useful.

Sure -- that's one reason why the standardizing on the FSF's Four
Freedoms is so good -- invariant sections *clearly* don't serve any of
the four.

> I would ask that, *especially* if Debian formalizes my metaphor or
> builds upon it in any way, that the FSF not change its definition of
> Free Software without running it by us.  :)  Having
> <URL:http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html> change suddenly could
> come as a nasty surprise.

I can't promise *anything* about what Richard will do to the FSF's
website.  But I do think that Debian needs to be kept in the loop.  So,
if Richard does it, you would be right to be upset at him.

--
-Dave Turner                     Stalk Me: 617 441 0668

"On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters
of principle, stand like a rock." -Thomas Jefferson