Re: Encoding the name in the file contents (was Re: Towards a new LPPL draft)

Boris Veytsman <borisv@lk.net> writes:

> > From: tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
> > Date: 27 Jul 2002 10:00:12 -0700
>
> > However, more to the point, free software is about particular
> > freedoms.  In the instant case, the freedom I'm asking about is a
> > freedom to modify and distribute the program, something that both the
> > DFSG and the GPL highlight as a crucial freedom.
>
> I am afraid you want a little bit different freedom: the freedom to
> call you modified distribution LaTeX. DFSG specifically says that this
> freedom, while important, is not as essential as other freedoms, and
> its absence is NOT a showstopper.

I've already said that if all that is necessary is changing the
"latex" command name, then I don't object.  That's in the category of
a trademark (even if the Latex people can't be bothered to get one,
since that's what they actually seem to want).