Re: Encoding the name in the file contents (was Re: Towards a new LPPL draft)

Boris Veytsman <borisv@lk.net> writes:

> "If a vendor wants to distribute a derivateve of a GPL program without
> sources, and all customers know about it, and want it, and want it
> this way, then why, exactly, do you want to prtohibit them from this
> freedom?"

Um, they *do* have this freedom, actually; they can just distribute
under the second option (offer to provide source later), which results
in exactly the desired result if the facts are as hypothesized.

However, more to the point, free software is about particular
freedoms.  In the instant case, the freedom I'm asking about is a
freedom to modify and distribute the program, something that both the
DFSG and the GPL highlight as a crucial freedom.

You might think we shouldn't care about this freedom, but we do, and
if we don't have it, then it can't be part of Debian.