Re: Encoding the name in the file contents (was Re: Towards a new LPPL draft)

On 25 Jul 2002, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Huh? The LaTeX I run identifies itself quite plainly in the third line
> of the output:

Excellent, you're right (I stupidly didn't run an actual file through it,
I just typed "latex" and didn't see anything but the TeX idintifier,
because it was waiting for my input).

> pc-043:~/foo$ latex radio.tex
> This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
> (radio.tex
> LaTeX2e <1999/12/01> patch level 1

Cool.  Is it possible to simply add a requirement "the identification
string when used must state that it has been modified".  You'd then get
  LaTex2e <1999/12/01> patch level 1 modified by markr
or whatever.  Users who wanted an unmodified version would then know to go
get one.