Re: Encoding the name in the file contents (was Re: Towards a new LPPL draft)

Frank Mittelbach <frank.mittelbach@latex-project.org> writes:

> I must confess that i havea bit of a problem to understand the exchange
> between you and Henning, but could you please be more precise about
>
>  - which freedom is taken away from all users, and
>  - which freedom is given to a subset

You have represented that all LaTeX users expect pristine files when
they use the usual filenames.  I claim that you have no way to know
what all LaTeX users expect, and Henning says "well, many do expect
that, if not all".

Those who do not expect pristine files--for whatever reason, 200 years
from now, for example, or people doing weird wacky things you've never
thought of, or who know perfectly well what they are doing in changing
a file and therefore *don't* expect a "pristine" version--those people
have a freedom removed by the renaming requirement.