Re: OT: Help needed for disassembling Toshiba Satellite 5100-603

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 08:15:01PM +0100, Jan T. Kim wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 12:45:25PM -0400, PaulNM wrote:

> > I was so focused on the "take laptop apart" question that I missed the
> > part about the video.  My laptop has a similar problem that has gone
> > progressivly worse. Have you tried connecting a monitor to the video
> > out? I've found that the problem (for me) is with the actual lcd sreen
> > or connections and not the video card since it doesn't appear on other
> > monitors.
>
> With my machine, the LCD video and the CRT video look exactly the same.
> Moreover, in console mode, weird and broken looking characters (sometimes
> coloured, without any reason) scroll off as I press return (when using
> a shell).
>
> I think that the video RAM is broken, therefore.
>
> Well, my last hope is that the machine gets back to normal after
> reassembly, if it doesn't, my trust in the system will be damaged too
> much, so I'll start looking into getting a new laptop.

It *almost* worked... :-/

Initially, it seemed as though disassembling and reassembling had really
"repaired" the machine, but then, upon tapping on the plastic surface
around the keyboard and pressing the mouse buttons, the flickering
reappeared.

It thus seems to me that there is a loose contact somewhere within the
graphics subsystem -- only I have no idea how to locate the problematic
spot.

If anyone here has an idea how to locate such a "loose", i.e. presumably
intermittently working connection, or a story how how you once managed
to fix a similar thing, I'd be interested to hear these.

Best regards, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: jtk@cmp.uea.ac.uk                               |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/people/jtk             |