Re: OT: Help needed for disassembling Toshiba Satellite 5100-603

Hi all,

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 08:32:34AM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 06:22:09PM +0100, Jan T. Kim wrote:
> > Thanks for your help. Your guess was right, there are catches (a few
> > only, though) around the front of the case, but I had managed to open
> > them already. The thing is now held together by something in the
> > middle, and I cannot see what that might be.
> >
> > I've found some descriptions of similar problems in the web, there,
> > it was suggested that more screws may be underneath the keyboard. I
> > don't know how to remove the keyboard, though.
>
> Not sure if this will help...
>
> I have a different model Toshiba (2805-S302) and I had to pry up a bit
> of plastic directly above the keyboard to get to the screws that hold
> down the keyboard.  On my laptop it's the plastic strip that has the
> power button and three LEDs for caps-local, function light, and
> keyboard in numeric mode.

Yes, indeed that also applies to the Satellite 5100, as I found out
the evening when I was poking around with the screwdriver. Underneath
the keyboard, there were a few additional screws that had to be removed
in order to take apart the case.

Thanks to all who responded.

Unfortunately, I didn't find anything like a stuck fan which I could
fix, and the system still seems to have graphics problems. I'll now
put everything back together again, and if that doesn't "magically"
repair the thing (any suggestions for the preferred moon phase for doing
this? ;-)  ), I'll probably have to look into getting a replacement.

Kind regards, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: jtk@cmp.uea.ac.uk                               |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/people/jtk             |