Re: OT: Help needed for disassembling Toshiba Satellite 5100-603

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 08:52, Jan T. Kim wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> My Toshiba Satellite 5100-603 notebook (on which I use Debian sarge)
> has developed a hardware problem (random things start to flicker
> around on the screen a few minutes after switching on and booting
> the system).
>
> Now, I have unscrewed all the screws I could find (including one under
> the twisted pair network and modem socket, which I overlooked initially),
> but the case doesn't come apart.
>
> Does anyone of you know how to disassemble this unit? I'd like to
> check whether perhaps some little fan has become stuck, or excessive
> dust has accumulated somewhere or something like that, possibly
> causing the graphics hardware to overheat...

Disclaimer: I have never disassembled a Toshiba laptop.  I have,
however, disassembled an IBM Thinkpad and a Compaq Presario, and both of
those had little plastic catches all along the sides.  I've tried to
draw a picture of a side profile of the case:
(http://sryan.stearns.org/~sryan/laptop_catch.png) Basically, you have
to wedge a small screwdriver in the side of the case to release the
catch before you can pull it apart.  You'll have to do each catch one at
a time unless you have many more hands than I do :-)

HTH,
--
Stephen Ryan
Digital Rights Management is bad for all of us: