Re: Debian Install CD doesn't recognize my hard drive - SUCCESS (sort of)

Whew. What a PITA. I now have Debian SID with kernel-image-2.6.4-1-686 running on my old Dell laptop.

I booted off of LindowsOS Live CD. I then grabbed debootstrap from the sid distribution, and ran it. It failed multiple times finding certain packages, which I downloaded by hand and then reran debootstrap.

Finally, after much pain (in particular locating which package had "ar" in it, which debootstrap needed!), I was able to "chroot" into the new installation, and set the rest up (lilo, etc.).

The machine now boots correctly. Unfortunately, it doesn't recognize my PCMCIA Ethernet adapter (out of the box), and I haven't installed X and KDE yet, so I have just a lovely full screen black console window, but I'm declaring victory for the day, logging off, and taking up the challenge in the morning :-).

Thanks again to all of you who shared your wisdom with me. I know way more today than I did before about this stuff, and that was part of the reason for continuing the struggle until this point.