Re: Debian Install CD doesn't recognize my hard drive

That seemed extremely strange to me as well. That said, I have a strong suspicion where this came from. I originally booted from a "freedos" floppy, to wipe out the drive with fdisk from my original Xandros install, which the Debian CD couldn't install to. Perhaps that left the partition marked as a Minix one. Still, the 2.4.22 kernel had no trouble booting it.

/etc/fstab looked fine (I looked at it a few times), but never peeked at /etc/mtab. Unfortunately, I decided to blow the whole thing away anyway. I was curious as to whether it was the fact that Xandros installed reiserfs by default that was causing the 2.6.4 kernel any problems.

I booted off of a LindowsOS Live CD, which gives me a shell (with browser, etc.) and full access to the hard drive (so it too, like Xandros, has no trouble recognizing the disk!). I will take my time and see if I can figure out how to lay down a new filesystem from there, and do a net install, etc. Good learning experience for me, even though it has been frustrating as heck.

Off to a meeting, and back to the grind later on :-)

Derek Brought on wrote:
Surely you _don't_ have a Minix filesystem (at least, iirc, there's a plan to drop support for it, so I doubt it has much use), so you need to look at /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab, and possibly your boot loader to figure out why it thinks it should be mounting Minix.