Re: ACPI suspend/resume

From: "Bem Ajani Jones-Bey" <ajani@OCF.Berkeley.EDU>

> On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 01:14:06PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:

> > Well, S1 is sleep mode, so your BIOS claims to not support sleep mode!
> > Try getting a bios update, that might help.
> > S5 is poweroff... S3 or S4 are suspend levels i think... one might be
> > power-off, maybe that was S3...

S4 is suspend-to-disk, S3 is suspend-to-RAM.

> So, last I checked, Linux ACPI didn't support suspend to memory or
> suspend to disk; the software suspend patch is the only way to get an
> ACPI laptop to do anything resembling sleeping. I was also under the
> impression that this wasn't going to work for awhile; at least until
> 2.6. I admit I haven't looked at ACPI in a couple months, but last time
> I looked, they were projecting that suspend./sleep wouldn't happen any
> time soon.

Last I checked, ACPI does suspend to memory or disk, using swsusp.  It's
even all integrated into the 2.5 kernels (though the CONFIG_SWSUSP option is
buried in the kernel hacking section rather than ACPI). If you don't want to
run an experimental kernel, then you can patch 2.4.x from the acpi.sf.net
site.
--
derek