Re: ACPI suspend/resume

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 01:14:06PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
> > And the ACPI4Linux pages have moved and links to them have been broken
> > since I got the laptop a couple of weeks ago.
>
> They moved to sourceforge long time ago... acpi.sf.net..
> documentation there is sparse, though. mailinglist archives are the best
> source for docs.
> There is a FAQ though, which cntains lot of usefuls hints.
>
> > echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
> >
> > puts the machine to sleep, but nothing I do seems to wake it up again?
> >
> > cat /proc/acpi/sleep gives:
> > S0 S3 S4 S5
>
> Well, S1 is sleep mode, so your BIOS claims to not support sleep mode!
> Try getting a bios update, that might help.
> S5 is poweroff... S3 or S4 are suspend levels i think... one might be
> power-off, maybe that was S3...
>
> Maybe S1 was automatically disabled due to some part of your hardware
> not supporting sleep; or your bios didn't include it in the table.

So, last I checked, Linux ACPI didn't support suspend to memory or
suspend to disk; the software suspend patch is the only way to get an
ACPI laptop to do anything resembling sleeping. I was also under the
impression that this wasn't going to work for awhile; at least until
2.6. I admit I haven't looked at ACPI in a couple months, but last time
I looked, they were projecting that suspend./sleep wouldn't happen any
time soon.

--
-=- Bem Ajani Jones-Bey -=- ajani@ocf.berkeley.edu -=-
  "I tried to live on love once, and damn near