Re: Strange behaviour

Matthew Guenther <guentherm@asme.org> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 08:56:23AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> >
> > The one that came with kernel-source-2.4.18 right?  Most (if not all)
> > of the symptoms you described can be traced to device access ...
>
> The one that came with the kernel source, yes... however it doesn't
> refer to the type of difficulties I'm experiencing

The difficulties you are experiencing have one thing in common: they
all appear at points where stuff in /dev is likely to be accessed ...
That should give a hint ;-)

> I should have been more specific, the kernel config from the page
> has devfs enabled, from that and the lack of mention of any
> substantive issues I inferred that it would work fine.

Try a boot with "devfs=nomount" to see if that fixes things for you.
No need to even recompile your kernel.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH