Re: Strange behaviour

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 02:13, Matthew Guenther wrote:
> > > ?? His only reference to devfs was "If you use devfs you may need ...".
> > >  It doesn't seem likely that he used it at all.  I think you're going
> > > about this in the wrong order.  Turn off devfs first, get it working,
> > > THEN try figuring out what to do to get devfs.  Devfs is no more likely
> > > to work with your configuration on 2.4.19 than on an earlier kernel.
> >
> > The ONLY reference to devfs on that page reads:
> >
> >   Note: If you use devfs you may need to make the device: mknod
> >         /dev/hdb b 3 64

What page has that wrong advice?  Have the following two lines in your devfsd
configuration to create compatability entries for all IDE devices:
REGISTER        ^ide/.*         MKOLDCOMPAT
UNREGISTER      ^ide/.*         RMOLDCOMPAT

The file /etc/devfs/compat_symlinks in the default install of devfsd will
make compatability links for all devices.

> I should have been more specific, the kernel config from the page has devfs
> enabled, from that and the lack of mention of any substantive issues I
> inferred that it would work fine.

It has always worked fine for me.

I suggest that people who have problems with devfs tell me about any specific
problems rather than just posting to mailing lists criticising devfs.
Discussing problems with me is likely to lead to them getting fixed.