Re: Strange behaviour

"Derek Broughton" <derek_broughton@hotmail.com> writes:

> From: "Matthew Guenther" <guentherm@asme.org>
>
> > On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 03:56:38PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> > >
> > > Err, you did read Documentation/filesystems/devfs/README, didn't you?
> > > If not, recompile your kernel without devfs and I think your problems
> > > will disappear.
> >
> > Of course I read the README, I'm not insane!  This page:

The one that came with kernel-source-2.4.18 right?  Most (if not all)
of the symptoms you described can be traced to device access ...

> > http://www.rm-r.net/~meff/i8200/
> >
> > Was my baseline instruction sheet and he described no problems
> > with devfs so I figured it was okay.  He used 2.4.19 however, so I
> > may try upgrading and if the problem persists, turn off devfs.
>
> ?? His only reference to devfs was "If you use devfs you may need ...".  It
> doesn't seem likely that he used it at all.  I think you're going about this
> in the wrong order.  Turn off devfs first, get it working, THEN try figuring
> out what to do to get devfs.  Devfs is no more likely to work with your
> configuration on 2.4.19 than on an earlier kernel.

The ONLY reference to devfs on that page reads:

  Note: If you use devfs you may need to make the device: mknod
        /dev/hdb b 3 64

and it is in regards to getting CDRW/DVD working.  This is not nearly
enough to get devfs to work.  I completely agree with Derek's advice:
rip out devfs, see if that fixes things (it likely will if your system
hasn't been hosed by reckless devfs use) and only once things are back
in order contemplate adding devfs again.

Do yourself a favour and read that README, make sure you understand it
(not sure I do myself and haven't had the time to test that), do as it
tells you to and only then try a devfs enabled kernel.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH