Re: Very Selective upgrade

Rolf Heckemann wrote:
On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 06:35:04AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:

Thanks to all that replied.
I know that under dselect I can "hold" various packages.
And if I edit the sources.list I can add a set of 'testing' entries.

I suppose I can do the .deb download and installs myself but I was hoping for some manner in which I could use something like dpkg to specify a network location for a .deb package and have it (dpkg) download and install that package for me.

Your reply makes me wonder whether you have actually read and tried
the suggestions made.  What you are looking for is apt-get.

I was looking for something maybe like this:
dpkg -i ftp.debian.org./lots of path stuff/filename.deb
But it doesn't work that way, does it?