Re: Very Selective upgrade

Thanks to all that replied.
I know that under dselect I can "hold" various packages.
And if I edit the sources.list I can add a set of 'testing' entries.

I suppose I can do the .deb download and installs myself but I was hoping for some manner in which I could use something like dpkg to specify a network location for a .deb package and have it (dpkg) download and install that package for me.

I will have to look into the source installations a bit further as I've found I have wanted to install something myself many times the Debian way...

I have noticed that when I create a custom kernel it gives me trouble with subsequent upgrades from Debian. Example: When the Debian kernel is 2.2.18 I install my own version of 2.2.19. When Debian comes out with anything new (>=2.2.19) I can't upgrade it as the package I created is not in the upgrade path. Understandable, but ...

I looked in the FAQ, where can I find more information on how to do this Debian Package management...?????