Re: Very Selective upgrade

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 06:35:04AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> Thanks to all that replied.
> I know that under dselect I can "hold" various packages.
> And if I edit the sources.list I can add a set of 'testing' entries.
>
> I suppose I can do the .deb download and installs myself but I was
> hoping for some manner in which I could use something like dpkg to
> specify a network location for a .deb package and have it (dpkg)
> download and install that package for me.

Your reply makes me wonder whether you have actually read and tried
the suggestions made.  What you are looking for is apt-get.

> I will have to look into the source installations a bit further as
> I've found I have wanted to install something myself many times
> the Debian way...
>
> I have noticed that when I create a custom kernel it gives me
> trouble with subsequent upgrades from Debian.  Example:  When the
> Debian kernel is 2.2.18 I install my own version of 2.2.19.  When
> Debian comes out with anything new (>=2.2.19) I can't upgrade it
> as the package I created is not in the upgrade path.
> Understandable, but ...

But what?

> I looked in the FAQ, where can I find more information on how to
> do this Debian Package management...?????

http://antiweb.org/translation/debian/appc_05.html

Let's end the thread here, it is off-topic.

R.

--
Rolf Heckemann (Dr. med.)	Research Fellow
Department of Imaging   	Hammersmith Hospital, London