Re: Very Selective upgrade

Sorry for the cross posting.
But I just wanted to carry the discussion to dpkg list.

Well...

For me Tom's point is a very important issue.

Now I have debian machine installed by using the "testing"
branch 50 days ago. Now I want to upgrade/install some packages.
In dselect I choose the update option (using method apt).
Now the select says that it will going to upgrade nearly all of the
packages. In 50 days I've done alot of customization
on that machine and I do not want to ugrade most of them.

Meanwhile I'm quite satisfied with the system.
And I have no intention for such a big upgrade.
However currently (and sadly) I can not use dselect for
automatic installion of other packages with all their dependent ones
because choosing "Install" will upgrade rest of the system.

Hence I have no option :( other than manually downloading and
installing new packages with all others that the packages depends on. :(

Is it be possible to "freeze" some packages on a machine
an make them immune to later updates/installations?

It would be a very nice feature.

Regards.......Imran