Re: Very Selective upgrade

> Rolf Heckemann wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 06:35:04AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> >
> >>Thanks to all that replied.
> >>I know that under dselect I can "hold" various packages.
> >>And if I edit the sources.list I can add a set of 'testing' entries.
> >>
> >>I suppose I can do the .deb download and installs myself but I was
> >>hoping for some manner in which I could use something like dpkg to
> >>specify a network location for a .deb package and have it (dpkg)
> >>download and install that package for me.
> >>

> > Your reply makes me wonder whether you have actually read and tried
> > the suggestions made.  What you are looking for is apt-get.
> >
> I was looking for something maybe like this:
> dpkg -i ftp.debian.org./lots of path stuff/filename.deb
> But it doesn't work that way, does it?

If you already have a properly setup debian (even a little one)
then use

	apt-get install filename

...except, thanks to the apt system you will not usually need to even
specify a version number.  Only for oddballs where past and present
can live together (eg pcmcia-modules-2.2.10, pcmcia-modules-2.2.19)
would need that, and then you still don't need the patchlevel numbers.
You certainly do not need to say .deb on the end, nor have any idea
exactly where it is on the ftp filesystem.

If you do NOT have a properly setup debian yet, dpkg -i can install
local files after you fetch them using your favorite method.  debget
(a script) could do it without the packaging system.  In the worst case
a .deb is really an .ar archive which some .gz packages inside... and
you could grodgel around, find debget, rip that open and use it to get
the rest.  Beware messes that may result if you don't look at your post
install scripts, though!

Hope that helps, it's probably waaaay more than enough for most people.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...