Effective Boot Procedure

Hi all!

Speed is for my old laptop (486, Debian 2.0) essential.
So I want to boot twice:
* With a small kernel without daemons (no ports, no network)
* With a big kernel with daemons (network, modem, printer)

I have two kernels and decide at the lilo-boot-prompt which one
to boot.

How can I tell (if possible) lilo to boot with/without daemons?

So far I deleted most daemon-boot-scripts from /etc/rc2 and edit
/etc/inittab to set the runlevel at 2 (no daemons) or
3 (with daemons) - than I have to reboot.

Any help/recommendations to do this more effizient (if
possible with lilo)?

Thanks
Dieter