Re: Hard disk spins down after resume

Hi,

> > > after resuming from suspend to RAM, the hard disk of my Thinkpad T20
> > > spins up, then spins down for a short time, and the spins up again.
> > >
> > > Does anyone note the same behaviour on other Notebooks?
> > >

> But there is no bios setting for a powersave functions of the hard disk.
> It does not make any difference if I disable or enable the disk's spindown
> timeout with hdparm -S0.

I experience this behaviour since I got my laptop (No-Name IPC Starnote98)
almost 3 years ago, Dec 1998. Since I got APM working in a (mostly)
satisfactory way, I never wondered about it...

By the way, I went through all kernel revisions from 2.2.0 to 2.2.19, also
2.4.5 to 2.4.9. Currently running 2.4.9 with Debian 2.2.r3, numerous packages
from unstable. The kernel APM support changed vastly over that time period,
as I had to recognize by often experimenting with the kernel config again.
However, one thing never changed: spin up - spin down - spin up .. after
Suspend-To-Ram.

In the BIOS there is an automatic spindown after 4 minutes configured, but
actually almost never occurs due to buffer flushes. Anyway - the battery is
broken, so .. =)

Best wishes,
	Frank
 Frank Trenkamp                               ftrenkam@uos.de
 PGP fprt: 5A0C 4AE9 74A5 51F0 2D34  E7DC 67FF 32C4 0357 5653