Re: Modem not working in Linksys PCMCIA Ethernet + modem combo

On Nov 21, Petr Hlustik wrote:
> That's really a surprise for me! As you can guess, I bought the combo to
> bypass the internal Winmodem in the Toshiba. The Linksys card was and still
> is advertised as Linux-compatible, driven by serial_cs (see the bottom of
> the Linux tech support page,
> http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=26) and even the current
> Linux/Modem database (http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/20001116a.html) gives it
> an OK, rather than WM rating, which I took as "true modem".
>
> I can try installing the Lucent winmodem driver but I hate to think that
> either Linksys has changed the chip in mid-production or there is some
> really deceiving advertising going on.

I have the same card, and it's not a Winmodem.  However, it does seem
to have trouble when both the ethernet and serial are in use, and it
can be finnicky that way.

My advice is to do an ifdown eth0 (or ifconfig eth0 down) before
trying to use the tty.  It may also help to run a 2.4.0-pre10 kernel
so the serial stuff is handled automatically by the kernel's serial
driver instead of pcmcia-cs, which I don't have much faith in.

Also, I've noticed some bad interactions between pump (DHCP client)
and PPP, so you may want to disable DHCP in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts
(and run /etc/init.d/pcmcia reload) while using the modem.  pump seems
to hog the default route even when there's no DHCP server to be found,
and there doesn't seem to be an easy way around it.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> -  http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Computer Systems Manager (Physics & Astronomy, 125 Lewis, 662-915-5765)
Instructor, POL 101      (Political Science, 208 Deupree, 662-915-5949)