pcmcia upgrade slink->potato

OK, I've finally upgraded my Asus f7400 laptop from slink r5 to potato
from the r0 CDs (2.2.17 kernel).  All is sweetness and light except
I'm no longer able to access the ethernet through my 3Com/Megahertz
3CCFEM556 card.  Cardinfo show the card to be ready, ifconfig shows
the 'eth0' interface up on the right address and netstat shows a good
route table.  However attempts to ping another host on the net result
in 'sendto Operation not permitted' errors.  All right so I get tired
of playing with this and bring up my modem (built into the same card),
establish my ppp connection and voila my ethernet eth0 connection
begins working.  Take down the ppp connection and eth0 continues to
work.  This repeats for every boot.  I tried using the slink
pcmcia directory that I'd saved and got exactly the same results.

I have some spare disk space so to check my sanity I load SuSE 6.4
(2.2.14 kernel) and the network comes up first crack out of the box
and without using the modem.  I copy their pcmcia directory to the
potato partition reboot Debian and get the same results described
above with potato.  Ejecting and reinserting the card makes no
difference nor does restarting /etc/init.d/pcmcia.

What am I missing here???

Any help of suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Lance

Lance Heller                     |
  Network Systems                |  WorldCom
  email: lance.heller@wcom.com   |  6929 North Lakewood Avenue
  phone: (918)590-4921           |  Tulsa, OK  74117
  fax  : (918)590-1103           |  MailDrop: 3.1-309

782BC3FC : ACC0 9F05 C6D9 9BC5 8B08  2E4B 73C0 A367 782B C3FC
E410DCD4 : B40C E13D 591D EE76 80EB  C2EC 9377 6C69 E410 DCD4