Re: [debian-knoppix] Using a 486 for LINUX

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 05:43:01PM +0100, Baeckeroot alain wrote:
> Le Vendredi 13 F?vrier 2004 16:41, Dirk Eddelbuettel a ?crit :
> >
> > You can test that without even touching the 486's harddisk.
> >
> >    1) Go to www.rom-o-matic.net and build a boot floppy. You only need to
> >       know your network card. Defaults worked for me. The image is small.
> >
> >    2) The boot Knoppix, and start the 'knoppix terminalserver' from the
> >       Knoppix/Services menu. Answer the dialog questions, and be sure to pick
> >       the right network card. Make sure the services
> >
> >    3) Boot the 486 off the floppy -- you'll see the knoppix boot screen
> >       within second. Knoppix is smart enough too recognise the low mem
> >       and stay in text mode giving you what you asked for above.
> Is it a normal feature of Knoppix-Terminal-Server ? Or a thing you add
> for quantian ?

The "Knoppix Terminal Server" is a standard Knoppix feature, and the "
"Knoppix Openmosix Terminal Server" is added by Wim for clusterKnoppix.

> If i understand , that could allow at boot time to auto-choose between X-client
> and graphical-node of the cluster ? (instead of fixing it in /etc/dhcpd.conf or
> something like that)

There are two different things.

For pretty much every Linux installation from any distribution, you choose
if you want to stay in text / console mode ay boot time. For Knoopix it is
via runlevel 2 which you pick at the lilo prompt.

For the Openmosix Terminal Server context, it makes sense to limit the
clients to being without X11 to conserver ram. As different openMosix nodes
form a 'single sytem image' machine cluster, you steer it from just one
workstation anyway (presumable the server node), so no need to have X11
everywhere.

> I m very interested to know how  it s possible.
> In which file is this test ? please :)

All in the sources :)

> >    http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian/howto_liloboot.html
>   very nice :)

Thanks!

Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page