Re: [debian-knoppix] problem with Xfree86 in latest Knoppix (2-9-04)

> From: Matthew Yates <myatesmyates@yahoo.com>
> Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 18:12:46 -0800 (PST)
>
> I installed Knoppix (2-9-2004) to the hard drive using
> Knoppix-Installer.  After booting, I get the KDM login
> screen.  When I try to login to any window manager (as
> root or as regular user) the screen goes blank for a
> second, then KDM re-appears.  If I go to the console
> and login as root and type "startx", it fails with
> error messages about libspeedo and libGLcore.  I
> posted this to the forum at www.knoppix.net.  At least
> one other user has the same proble, but no solutions
> yet.
>
> I installed the 11-19-2003 version on the same machine
> and it works flawlessly.  Any idea what the problem
> may be?

One suggestion would be to reconfigure your XF86Config file.
IIRC, I used 'XFree86 -configure' (without the quote marks)
to get Knoppix X to work on two machines I had difficulty
with, that wouldn't run X without doing that.

Good luck.

Robert Riches
rm.riches@verizon.net