[debian-knoppix] problem with Xfree86 in latest Knoppix (2-9-04)

Hi all,

I installed Knoppix (2-9-2004) to the hard drive using
Knoppix-Installer.  After booting, I get the KDM login
screen.  When I try to login to any window manager (as
root or as regular user) the screen goes blank for a
second, then KDM re-appears.  If I go to the console
and login as root and type "startx", it fails with
error messages about libspeedo and libGLcore.  I
posted this to the forum at www.knoppix.net.  At least
one other user has the same proble, but no solutions
yet.

I installed the 11-19-2003 version on the same machine
and it works flawlessly.  Any idea what the problem
may be?