Re: [debian-knoppix] Using a 486 for LINUX

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 10:13:34AM -0500, Ruzzo, Bob wrote:
> Hello....I have been using KNOPPIX for 1 day now! I find it very
> interesting.  However I seem to think I should try to learn some LINUX
> commands. I have an older COMPAQ 486 desktop that is just collecting
> dust. Is it possible to get a COMMAND LINE ONLY version of LINUX to put
> on this computer? It is a 486 with 24MB ram so it isnt the best or
> fastest. It doesn't have a CD rom BUT I have it set up to use a 100MB
> ZIP drive so I can still put large files on it. Right now the 486 has
> DOS 6.22 on it and I was using it to play with batch file menus and keep
> a bunch of html files on it that I use a DOS html reader....just to play
> with.  I read something on a version called "tinylinux". Does anyon have
> any suggestions for a good command line version of Linux to learn
> commands? I use my KNOPPIX CD on all 3 of my good computers and it runs
> great on all of them. I suppose I could get a book on Linux commands to
> use with a program too.....bob

You can test that without even touching the 486's harddisk.

   1) Go to www.rom-o-matic.net and build a boot floppy. You only need to
      know your network card. Defaults worked for me. The image is small.

   2) The boot Knoppix, and start the 'knoppix terminalserver' from the
      Knoppix/Services menu. Answer the dialog questions, and be sure to pick
      the right network card. Make sure the services

   3) Boot the 486 off the floppy -- you'll see the knoppix boot screen
      within second. Knoppix is smart enough too recognise the low mem
      and stay in text mode giving you what you asked for above.

All this worked fine for me on a pentium 90 / 32mb a few days ago booting
via floppy off my Quantian derivative (of clusterKnoppix / Knoppix). I wrote
up a minuscule HOWTO that is available at

   http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian/howto_liloboot.html

Hth, Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page