Re: Sarge TODO items

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 12:46:18PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Fine with me. So let's create an alitoh project for the kernel, and a
> subversion repo. Anyone is already looking into this ?

Ok, Martin?

> > For 2.2/2.4 let's follow his suggestion to not do any major changes,
> > let's just try to move everyone to a single kernel-source for the
> > patches to reduce overhead for the security team.
>
> That means, a single kernel-source 2.4 and 2.2 version.

Yes.  Let's have a single kerne-source-2.2.x/2.4.x for sarge and make
sure all architectures build from it using their kernel-patch-$arch

> > Given the feedback I've heard so far it seems like 2.6 for sarge will
> > only be for x86/alpha/ppc/ia64 and maybe s390.  Given all of these don't
> > require major patches and 2.6 isn't the main kernel for sarge I'd love
> > to see a common packaging for those.
>
> OWell, i still think that keeping the flexibility of allowing a per arch
> patch set would be a good idea, even if this patchset is empty or almost
> so. Let's start small though, create the subversion repo, and have the
> kernel-source package moved in there. And then the porter will move
> their own package to the subversion repo, and we can take a second phase
> of moving patches from the per arch patches to the common kernel source
> package once that is done. Small steps make for better going forward.

Okay, let's move forward in small steps..

> Also, another variable in this equation, is the handling of the NEW
> queue. The powerpc 2.6.6-5 package is currently artificially hold back
> in the NEW queue, and i have faced this kind of problems previously,
> well mostly due to the intrusion, but still the package was uploaded at
> least 3 weeks previous to the intrusion, so ...
>
> I believe that we have to think about a solution to this if we want o
> have quality kernel packages, and fast reaction to problems. A dedicated
> kernel ftp-master maybe ?

If that's doable it would certainly be nice.  Who is ftp-master anyway
and what qualifies a DD as such? i.e. could a DD in the kernel team
become ftp-master?