Re: RC bugs in Linux

* Robert Millan (zeratul2@wanadoo.es) [040603 13:25]:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:09:49AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > * Robert Millan (zeratul2@wanadoo.es) [040603 10:55]:
> > > Bear in mind that violating the DFSG is a release-critical bug, whereas
> > > disabling upstream drivers is not. And AFAIK disabling tainted drivers is a
> > > trivial task, but splitting the binary-only blobs into non-free isn't.
> > > Therefore if the latter requires long-term work, the former has to take
> > > priority. So the question is, does it require long-term work?

> > Please remember that there is a decision of the release manager on
> > this issue which changes must be pre-sarge, and how to do them:
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2004/04/msg00060.html

> Unless I'm missing something, the release manager doesn't have the authority
> to override the Social Contract (1.1) that was ratified by GR in April.

You might have missed GR 2004-003, and the discussions therein. There
are proposals to override the SC for the release of sarge. Also, it is
not even decided if the previous sarge release policy is a violation
of the social contract (or if the SC does not even ask for it because
we want to release rather soon now), but, frankly speaking, I prefer
such discussions to take place on debian-vote, and keep debian-kernel
and the bts free from these discussions.

For us, this decision of the RM is still valid, till he (or another
delegate of the DPL, or a GR) tells us otherwise.

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/