Re: Sarge TODO items

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 09:20:43PM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> [snip]
> > The idea is have to have a debian/patches/ dir that contains all
> > patches, similar to how many of the lots of little patches systems
> > work these days (CDBS? or the .dpatch stuff in the glibc packaging),
> > and the .diff.gz doesn't touch anything outside debian/.  Build
> > preparation applies these patches, as many as possible for all
> > architectures, and if needed conditionally.
>
> Then we have some debian-specific kernel tarball and a bunch of assorted
> patches, not an (as far as possible) unified source tree. If that's the
> preferred form, then why do we need a version control system for it?

Well, it works fine for other packages, why shouldn't it for the kernel.

> Furthermore, this scheme doesn't allow arch-specific kernel packages
> without duplicating the debian/patches/ dir.

Well, it would just be a unified repository where all the kernels
packages would be held, and which would make migration of patches from
the arch packages to the common package more easy, provided a modern
revision system is used, i would prefer subversion myself, since it is
easier than arch.

If i had to plan that, i would put the kernel-source tarball in it,
together with the debian dir for it, and then have one per arch
directory holding the whole kernel-patch-<arch> package. Once we have
that in place, and i doubt the wisdom of doing much beyond that before
the sarge release, we can start easily moving the patches to the common
package, and also try to streamline the config files, since we spoke
mostly of patches in this discussion, but the building of working
.configs is also one of the big challenges of per arch kernel packaging.

This would beat having each per-arch kernel-patch to use its own
revision system in any case.