Re: Debian KDE 3 packages using a different kde_htmldir

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 03:46:01AM -0500, Chris Cheney wrote:
> Also I have a gripe about KStandardDirs in general. It forces me to put
> crappy /usr/share/config fixup symlink to /etc/kde3 in Debian since it
> is based off --prefix. IMHO it should use the kderc file like the other
> function (forgot which) does. Having any directories hardcoded into the
> source file when kderc file exists is very bad, especially since it seems
> it doesn't even attempt to use the kderc file in KStandardDirs. Because
> of this I have to patch up for the html dir, cgi-bin dir, and config dir
> (by putting a symlink in).  Perhaps the source file relating to this
> could be a kstandarddirs.cpp.in that gets its dirs filled in at setup
> time via configure.

Well, there's that, and the whole "surely nothing else will ever be
installed in the same prefix!" part, which is easily the most depressing
thing about KDE.

> Even if the issue with /etc/kde3 and the others get resolved we still
> have the manually set KDEDIRS when you install into multiple places
> issue.  I am not sure how gnome does it, but I believe that with it you
> can install into /usr/local (please correct me if I am wrong) without
> having to manually change things and pretty much every other application
> works that way as well.  Someone probably should look into how they
> manage to make it work, and devise a way to make it possible for KDE as
> well.

Well, they don't do the tricks like dlopen()ing virtually every app
ever, and such.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
KDE: Konquering a desktop near you - http://www.kde.org