Re: Debian KDE 3 packages using a different kde_htmldir

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:40:56PM +0200, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Paul Cupis writes:
>
>   Paul> On Wednesday 14 May 2003 14:41, Dominique Devriese
>   Paul> <dominique.devriese@student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
>
>   >> No, that's not the problem.  The problem is in the patch
>   >> kdelibs.dirs.patch that only Debian applies.  It makes it such
>   >> that for any given prefix ( whether it is /usr, /usr/local or
>   >> /usr/local/kde doesn't matter ), it expects the documentation to
>   >> be in "$prefix/share/doc/kde/HTML/" instead of
>   >> "$prefix/share/doc/HTML".  This is purely Debian's "fault", and
>   >> it doesn't happen on SuSE because they don't mess with this..

Sorry I came in so late, I was finishing up at uni. At this point does
it even make sense for it to be called /HTML? Only a few files in the
tree are even html, almost all are either docbook or png files. Perhaps
rename it to share/doc/kde/khelpcenter or even just share/doc/khelpcenter
since all those docs are only used through it (right?).

Also I have a gripe about KStandardDirs in general. It forces me to put
crappy /usr/share/config fixup symlink to /etc/kde3 in Debian since it
is based off --prefix. IMHO it should use the kderc file like the other
function (forgot which) does. Having any directories hardcoded into the
source file when kderc file exists is very bad, especially since it seems
it doesn't even attempt to use the kderc file in KStandardDirs. Because
of this I have to patch up for the html dir, cgi-bin dir, and config dir
(by putting a symlink in).  Perhaps the source file relating to this
could be a kstandarddirs.cpp.in that gets its dirs filled in at setup
time via configure.

Even if the issue with /etc/kde3 and the others get resolved we still
have the manually set KDEDIRS when you install into multiple places
issue.  I am not sure how gnome does it, but I believe that with it you
can install into /usr/local (please correct me if I am wrong) without
having to manually change things and pretty much every other application
works that way as well.  Someone probably should look into how they
manage to make it work, and devise a way to make it possible for KDE as
well.

Thanks,

Chris