Re: Debian KDE 3 packages using a different kde_htmldir

Paul Cupis writes:

  Paul> On Wednesday 14 May 2003 14:41, Dominique Devriese
  Paul> <dominique.devriese@student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:

  >> No, that's not the problem.  The problem is in the patch
  >> kdelibs.dirs.patch that only Debian applies.  It makes it such
  >> that for any given prefix ( whether it is /usr, /usr/local or
  >> /usr/local/kde doesn't matter ), it expects the documentation to
  >> be in "$prefix/share/doc/kde/HTML/" instead of
  >> "$prefix/share/doc/HTML".  This is purely Debian's "fault", and
  >> it doesn't happen on SuSE because they don't mess with this..

  Paul> Sorry to join this late...

  Paul> On Debian systems, all files under /usr/share/doc/HTML are
  Paul> generated and owned my the dhelp system (package 'dhelp'). As
  Paul> such, if KDE (or any ther) program installed files there, they
  Paul> wuold be wiped out the next time dhelp regenerated the
  Paul> directory.

right..

  Paul> As such, it does not make sense for third-party docs to be
  Paul> installed there, as they would be deleted without notice to
  Paul> the user.

err.. yes, neither before or after the patch would this be the case, I
think..  Only without the patch and if the user configures with
--prefix=/usr would this happen.  With the patch, this should never happen..

  >> However, the damage is probably already done, since all previous
  >> KDE versions in Debian have had the patch applied, so I'm going
  >> to make a patch for the KDE build system that makes it install
  >> HTML documentation in $prefix/share/doc/kde/HTML by default..

  Paul> I don't think that Debian will change to put KDE docs in
  Paul> /usr/share/doc/HTML, even if that remains upstreams
  Paul> position. The easiest was for users to install packages from
  Paul> source and still get their documentation would be for them to
  Paul> pass kde_htmldir=/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML to their make install
  Paul> line:

  Paul>   make install kde_htmldir=/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML

yes, the patch makes this the default on Debian systems.

  >> Hi again, I'm going to send this patch to coolo..  It changes the
  >> default documentation install path for HTML documentation to
  >> $prefix/share/doc/kde/HTML, for a Debian installation on which
  >> kdelibs4 is installed..  Would you agree this is a good solution
  >> ?

  Paul> On first glance, this seems okay. The other option, as I think
  Paul> you've said is for the KDE3 packages to add
  Paul> /usr/local/share/doc/HTML to their search package for KDE
  Paul> documenation (etc), which I don't think is a good idea.

Yes, in the mean time, I've sent the patch to coolo, I'll let the
list what he replies...

cheers
domi

--