Re: Debian KDE 3 packages using a different kde_htmldir

On Freitag, 16. Mai 2003 10:57, Chris Cheney wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 08:41:00AM +0200, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> > "tell your users to use the option to ./configure", you mean, I
> > guess, which is why I don't like this option too much..
> >
> > Do you think there is any way to make ./configure auto-detect this ?
> > Could perhaps debianrules get another output target that would be
> > usable in a shell, and ./configure could source this if it detects
> > it's on a debian system ?
>
> The best solution that I can come up with is fix the things in my other
> email I just sent to the list and also change the documentation dir
> default and config dir default to something saner. ;)  Hint
> /usr/share/config is a FHS violation... Otherwise have kde-config
> provide all paths that are used so that the configure scripts can find
> the right location. Actually doing both of the above might be a good
> idea.

Please mind what you're doing there - if I understand you correctly. It will
have a *deep* impact with little noticable difference to the user but to all
KDE apps that are already compiled the way they are now.

I wouldn't change anything on the current setup - you can install the packages
but you can also, alongside, compile your own CVS and applications into
/usr/local (did that here and it works fine)

Ralf

> Chris
>

> FHS 2.1
>
> 4.  The /usr Hierarchy
>
> /usr is the second major section of the filesystem.  /usr is shareable,
> read-only data.  That means that /usr should be shareable between
> various hosts running FHS-compliant and should not be written to. **Any
> information that is host-specific or varies with time is stored
> elsewhere.**

Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org