Re: Debian KDE 3 packages using a different kde_htmldir

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 14:41, Dominique Devriese
<dominique.devriese@student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:

> No, that's not the problem.  The problem is in the patch
> kdelibs.dirs.patch that only Debian applies.  It makes it such that
> for any given prefix ( whether it is /usr, /usr/local or
> /usr/local/kde doesn't matter ), it expects the documentation to be
> in "$prefix/share/doc/kde/HTML/" instead of "$prefix/share/doc/HTML".
> This is purely Debian's "fault", and it doesn't happen on SuSE
> because they don't mess with this..
>
> I understand though that Debian has had to move their documentation
> to this location, and has had to make sure that the KDE KStandardDirs
> still found it by applying the patch, however, what imho should have
> been done, in order to keep third party apps working, was that the
> KStandardDirs patch should have made sure that the old location (
> "$prefix/share/doc/HTML" ) was also searched..

Sorry to join this late...

On Debian systems, all files under /usr/share/doc/HTML are generated and
owned my the dhelp system (package 'dhelp'). As such, if KDE (or any
ther) program installed files there, they wuold be wiped out the next
time dhelp regenerated the directory.

As such, it does not make sense for third-party docs to be installed
there, as they would be deleted without notice to the user.

> However, the damage is probably already done, since all previous KDE
> versions in Debian have had the patch applied, so I'm going to make a
> patch for the KDE build system that makes it install HTML
> documentation in $prefix/share/doc/kde/HTML by default..

I don't think that Debian will change to put KDE docs in
/usr/share/doc/HTML, even if that remains upstreams position. The
easiest was for users to install packages from source and still get
their documentation would be for them to pass
kde_htmldir=/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML to their make install line:

  make install kde_htmldir=/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 15:52, Dominique Devriese
<dominique.devriese@student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi again,
> I'm going to send this patch to coolo..  It changes the default
> documentation install path for HTML documentation to
> $prefix/share/doc/kde/HTML, for a Debian installation on which
> kdelibs4 is installed..
> Would you agree this is a good solution ?

On first glance, this seems okay. The other option, as I think you've
said is for the KDE3 packages to add /usr/local/share/doc/HTML to their
search package for KDE documenation (etc), which I don't think is a
good idea.

Paul Cupis
- --
paul@cupis.co.uk