Re: wanting to join the java team

On 14 July 2017 at 19:11, Markus Koschany <apo@debian.org> wrote:
> Am 14.07.2017 um 17:49 schrieb Carnë Draug:
> [...]
>> I will fix those issues.  Should I then use debian.mentors again?  On
>> the perl team, changing the distribution to unstable moves them to
>> "Ready for Upload" queue in the team PET and that's how one would
>> request review and upload.
>
> Interesting suggestion. We haven't used PET that much in our team so
> far. For us requesting sponsorship on debian-java just worked very well.
> I suggest to use mentors again for all initial packaging. As soon as we
> have completed this stage you can use the pkg-java Git repositories and
> mentors will become redundant.

Just for information, the way it works in pkg-perl once part of the
team, I would change distribution to unstable which signal a review
via PET.  A DD would then review it and either upload it or revert
back to UNRELEASED and leave comments as TODO notes on d/changelog.

I don't mind either way, mailing list is fine.  It's just that the
pkg-perl is the only one I had packages with thus far.

> So here is the deal. I intend to sponsor your packages, if they are of
> the same quality as libjlargearrays-java. Though I suggest to prepare
> all packages on your local system before we start to upload them to
> Debian. To speed up the process you can also send an overview to this
> list, what and how many packages you intend to upload in the end. This
> should ensure that we don't accidentally upload packages which are not
> really needed or are already part of Debian with a different name.

I don't have a total list of packages I will package.  I have a list
of final packages that I want but I am aware that will involve package
all of their dependencies first.  The final packages that I expect
take me the most time are Bioformats [2], and OMERO [3] which I
mentioned on my original post.  In addition, I want to package FairSIM
[4], and SIMCheck [5].

OMERO is a pretty complex program so I want to leave it to the end
when I'm more familiar with java packaging.  Bioformats is simpler but
still has many components and some tricky dependencies (they have
bundled and forked some of their dependencies).

So I am packaging FairSIM first.  This is dependent on JTransforms [6]
which is dependent on JLargeArrays [7] which is what I am packaging at
the moment.  I am at the same time packaging ome-common-java [8] which
is one the first bioformats dependencies.

I would prefer to have each packaged reviewed as I prepare them. This
would prevent me from doing a mistake on all packages.  I would get
feedback when I do it the first time, and I would already prevent on
future work.

Cheers,
Carnë

[2] http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/products/bio-formats