Re: wanting to join the java team

Am 14.07.2017 um 17:49 schrieb Carnë Draug:
[...]
> The problem with the sort description was that I was running emacs
> remotely inside screen.  When I copied paste that sentence, it came
> with the character that emacs uses to show whitespace.

Yes, I thought so. No worries though. You can either replace those
characters with whitespace or just shorten the description to the
sentence I have suggested which is completely fine.

[...]

> I did use lintian with:
>
>   lintian --pedantic -i -I -E --show-overrides \
>     ../libjlargearrays-java_1.6-1_source.changes
>
> but all it complained about was not using gpg signature for the watch
> file.  I guess the lintian checks are different on sid (I'm running
> stretch)?

Indeed the versions of Lintian differ from distribution to distribution.
I strongly recommend to build everything in a sid/unstable environment
where you also get the latest Lintian. The schroot [1] tool is very
useful if you usually run something else than unstable. As for myself I
run the testing distribution and use several different s(chroots) to
build my packages.

> I will fix those issues.  Should I then use debian.mentors again?  On
> the perl team, changing the distribution to unstable moves them to
> "Ready for Upload" queue in the team PET and that's how one would
> request review and upload.

Interesting suggestion. We haven't used PET that much in our team so
far. For us requesting sponsorship on debian-java just worked very well.
I suggest to use mentors again for all initial packaging. As soon as we
have completed this stage you can use the pkg-java Git repositories and
mentors will become redundant.

So here is the deal. I intend to sponsor your packages, if they are of
the same quality as libjlargearrays-java. Though I suggest to prepare
all packages on your local system before we start to upload them to
Debian. To speed up the process you can also send an overview to this
list, what and how many packages you intend to upload in the end. This
should ensure that we don't accidentally upload packages which are not
really needed or are already part of Debian with a different name.

Regards,

Markus

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Schroot