Re: Reviving the effort to package SBT

Hi Emmanuel,

On Thu, 2016-10-27 at 18:33 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> I suggest forking the Git repository of the scala package and branching
> from the commit 88e2381 (the one following the debian/2.10.5-1 tag).

Can someone provide me with exact Git instructions needed to achieve
this? I've been struggling with this one and haven't managed to get to a
point where I have the Scala 2.10.6 release and where I can just
back-port stuff from the 2.11.8-1 package version. Here is what I tried
so far.

First I thought there would be an automatic way of fetching 2.10.6 via
uscan so I started fiddling with d/watch, but I was told in
#debian-mentors there is no need for that. I was suggested to use
uupdate to apply changes from a manually downloaded orig.tar.xz archive
for Scala 2.10.6. That was great, except that it created a separate
source package directory with no Git repository.

Then I found this cheat-sheet for gbp:

https://people.debian.org/~debalance/packaging-with-git.html

and tried with git-import-orig on top of the commit Emmanuel suggested
(the one with the debian/2.10.5-1 tag), but git-import-orig kept on
complaining it's not located on a branch. I tried to remedy this with a
few command line options to the tool, but that didn't help.

Then in #debian-mentors I was suggested to do this:

$ git checkout upstream && git reset --hard upstream/2.10.5

After issuing the command, I performed git-import-orig with the 2.10.6
archive, but that failed to merge properly. I saw no mess in files, so I
manually made a commit and thought that would be it, but then when I
compared e.g. CONTRIBUTING.md with the one from the 2.10.6 archive file,
I saw the merge didn't go well, i.e. I had the old contents from 2.10.5.

At this point I don't have any more ideas. My guts tell me there should
be a super easy way to apply the upstream 2.10.6 release on top of the
debian/2.10.5-1 tag (because the upstream Scala is in a Git repository
as well), but I don't know how. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Regards,
Marko Dimjašević <marko@dimjasevic.net>