Re: Reviving the effort to package SBT

On Tue, 2016-10-25 at 21:31 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> The non-free source package could be based on the upstream binary
> distribution [1]. As I understand it's not strictly necessary to compile
> the source code for a non-free package, debian/rules can simply install
> pre-built binaries.

Let me see if I got it right.

The non-free SBT source package would include JARs and whatever other
binary files of SBT itself and its build dependencies. Then it would
have a minimal debian/ directory (I guess debian/rules would suffice)
that would be enough to create a working .deb file with no network
connectivity such that SBT from it can be used in the offline mode (no
jar downloading when 'sbt' is fired).

I'll see today how to go about it. Hopefully no modifications to SBT are
needed to get it working this way. My hunch is I will simply have to
put/install SBT's dependencies where SBT expects them in the file
system.

Cheers,
Marko