Re: Reviving the effort to package SBT

Hi Emanuel,

On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 14:28 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Thank you very much for offering your help. Packaging SBT would be
> really great, Scala 2.12 no longer provides an Ant build and it'll be
> complicated to upgrade our package without it.

Oh, then there's a yet another reason to get SBT packaged!

> Currently the Debian Java Team is rather short staffed and more
> volunteers focusing on the Scala ecosystem would be a perfect addition.

I'll gladly contribute some time to improve this situation and of course
to learn as I go.

> The dependency of SBT on itself is annoying but isn't the major hurdle
> in my opinion. There are two strategies to deal with this:
> 1. either rewrite the build system using another technology (that's how
> Maven was packaged initially, by using an Ant build).
> 2. or build with a non packaged version of SBT installed manually to get
> an initial sbt package, and then rebuild using the package.

Good to know.

> The main issue with the SBT packaging is the myriad of dependencies
> required. Any packaging effort should start by listing the dependencies
> and packaging them one by one.
>
> If you undertake this task we'll be happy to help you by reviewing your
> packages, sponsoring them and giving some advices (either on this
> mailing list on the #debian-java IRC channel).

Again, good to know.

I'm not familiar with how the Debian Java team works. Is there a Git
repository per package (e.g. on Alioth)? Do you maybe use Git pbuilder?
Is there already a work-in-progress repository for SBT that I can take a
look at?

I'll get started by trying to figure out what are build dependencies for
SBT. I'm just curious how do I approach this. My first guess is to go
to:

https://github.com/sbt/sbt/blob/1.0.x/build.sbt

and sift through all dependencies declared in lines starting with:

  libraryDependencies ++= ...

A quick look at it tells me there are many more dependencies than listed
at:

https://wiki.debian.org/Scala

--
Regards,