Re: RFS: modello/1.1-3 and modello1.4/1.4.1-2 - [UPLOADED] + a question

Le 16/01/2014 05:53, tony mancill a écrit :

> I was thinking that the issue is that we have packages that can't be
> built with a UTF-8 locale installed, but their build-deps/tools don't
> pull in a locale, nor do they set it.

This is a bit different here. If the locale is not set in the chroot,
ASCII is assumed as the default locale by the JVM. This causes an issue
when the code contains non ASCII characters (here, accentuated characters).

Maven strongly recommends developers to set the source encoding in the
pom.xml file. An explicit warning is displayed otherwise:

http://maven.apache.org/general.html#encoding-warning

If the encoding is properly defined in the pom, the project is
completely independent of the locales actually installed on the system.

> I haven't looked into this yet, but are you saying that the javadoc
> generator doesn't even need the locale to be installed?  (I had assumed
> that the locale needs to be there.)  If that's the case, then maybe we
> treat this like a bug and look into making sure that
> source/file.encoding properties are propagated.

The javadoc generator uses the default locale unless the -encoding
parameter is explicitly set. The Ant build.xml file from
maven-ant-helper used to build Maven projects without Maven doesn't
propagate the encoding specified in the pom.xml file to the javadoc
generator. For modello this would not cause an issue if the default
system encoding was ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8. And we wouldn't face this issue
if we switched from maven-ant-helper to maven-debian-helper to build
modello.

> I'm all for anything that can simplify the packaging experience and
> maintenance of the Debian Java tools, but I'm not sure how this is
> directly related to the locales issue.  Is there a connection, or is the
> suggestion to help us reduce the number of distinct tools?

This locale issue simply highlights the facts that maven-ant-helper
implements imperfectly a Maven build, and replacing it with
maven-debian-helper when possible would make our life easier.

Emmanuel