Re: RFS: modello/1.1-3 and modello1.4/1.4.1-2 - [UPLOADED] + a question

On 01/11/2014 09:16 AM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Ladies and gentlemen, I'm still looking for a sponsor to upload these
> two packages please.
>
> Emmanuel
>

> Le 06/11/2013 16:49, Emmanuel Bourg a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I refreshed the modello and modello1.4 packages and I'm looking for a
>> sponsor to upload them.

Hi Emmanuel, list-at-large:

I noticed that the -doc binary packages for these two packages (and
probably many others) result in empty packages unless the locales
package is installed and at least LC_ALL set to $something.UTF-8 at the
beginning of the build.  Without this, the javadoc build complains with
this error:

	error: unmappable character for encoding ASCII

but doesn't fail the build.  Therefore, folks (re)building packages
should take care to verify with debc or similar that the resulting
binary package contains the expected files.

Not having a locale set is perhaps a bit particular to using a clean
base chroot for package building, so not everyone will run into this.

However, having just been through a similar experience (read: "hassle")
with migrating from ruby 1.8 -> 1.9.1 (for the build system in jblas),
it got me to thinking that since some build systems expect to be run
within a given locale, perhaps we could help this with some tools and/or
policy.  Tools, because I'd hate to have to every debian/rules have to
explicitly install locales, generate an appropriate locale, then export
it to the build environment.  And perhaps policy too, because it seems
like we shouldn't expect people to have to constantly rejigger their
locale to build any given package. (Again, maybe the tool handles that.)

Anyway, not an urgent issue, but I think there may be other Java
packages affected.

tony